Favorite song from "Baby"

What's your favorite?
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

What is your favorite song from "Flag"?

Homage Mountain
No votes
Rubberbandman
5%
Jungle Bill
10%
Ocean Club
5%
Who's Gone?
3%
Capri Calling
13%
Drive / Driven
26%
On The Run
3%
Blender
23%
Sweet Thunder
13%

Total votes: 39
JonKamm

Favorite song from "Baby"

Postby JonKamm » Fri Apr 16, 2004 3:47 pm

Choose your favorite
marko
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby marko » Tue May 25, 2004 11:52 am

julz
Site Admin

Postby julz » Tue May 25, 2004 12:00 pm

marko

Postby marko » Tue May 25, 2004 12:14 pm

julz
Site Admin

Postby julz » Tue May 25, 2004 12:21 pm

Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Tue Sep 07, 2004 2:38 am

Hello all,

This is my first post in this forum. I have "80-85 remix", "Flag", "Baby" and "The Eye". Now I'm trying to get the rest of albums as well...

Voted for "Drive/Driven", it is a great!
laurens

Postby laurens » Tue Sep 07, 2004 4:44 am

Welcome Dreamer!
The morre the merrier.
I am also a fan of Drive Driven

When you mention that you are looking for the rest of the Yello Albums, do you mean in any specific format as in VINYL, CD, Cassett...? Or just any format to get your music library complete?

I have a good collection of vinyl, but most of the new stuff as in From the days of CD's, not much, as there aren't many, if any, exported to Canada. (Funny that, where you would think that a CD would be easier and cheeper to ship than a 12" single or album on VINYL.
Dreamer

Postby Dreamer » Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:19 am

I'm going to get them in CD. Tapes and vinyls get worse as you listen to them, and CD:s are easy to listen in my car as well...
Gator33

Postby Gator33 » Sat Jan 07, 2006 4:17 am

Greetings,

Blender gets my vote for its incredible opening sequence. :shock:

BTW: My first post on this forum. Been a Yello fan since 1988. Special ordered One Second just for Oh Yeah after hearing it on Ferris Buellers Day Off.

When the CD finally arrived, I was able to listen to all the tracks besides the one I knew about. Soon, I was shouting OH YEAH. :mrgreen:

One Second is still my most-listened-to CD. Best music for the car. The best way I can describe Yellos music is that it has a sense of Presence that Ive never experienced from other music.

Cheers!
ted

Re: Favorite song from "Baby"

Postby ted » Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:17 pm

[q
uote="JonKamm"]Choose your favorite[/quote]
drive/driven that subtle flute melody just..........wow!
robo-1

Postby robo-1 » Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:35 pm

Although these polls were started soooo long ago, I presume it is ok to still post here!

Baby is such a delightfully diverse album with so many good tracks, that I don't know if I can pick just one favourite... The album runs the gamut of Yello stylings: from Boris Blank cinematic soundscapes "Homage to the Mountain" and "Sweet Thunder", to hilarious Dieter Meier story-songs "Ocean Club" and "Blender", to lusty retro-lounge tunes "Capri Calling" and "Drive/Driven", to high-energy sample-laced dance hits "Rubberbandman, Jungle Bill, Who's Gone?" and "On the Run"...

Though some here dog the "Rubberbandman" track, I enjoy this song. I really dig how Dieter Meier channels Satchmo so convincingly here. And the bridge of the song, where Billy Mackenzie's backing vocals and the piano bit come in, is really strong... So strong, that Boris returns to this bridge to end the tune. I almost wish that "Rubberbandman" was longer and "Jungle Bill" was shorter. I think I prefer the Essentials version of "Jungle Bill" to the one that appears on this album; It's tighter.

The sultry singing of Billy Mackenzie makes "Capri Calling" a killer track, but why does this song sound so truncated? Did Yello release an extended version of this track? Again, shorten "Jungle Bill", extend "Capri".

Like a good number of other participants of this poll, I have a soft spot for "Blender". If Baby packs a lot of diverse Yello goodness into one album, then "Blender" packs a lot of it into a single song! You've got a goofy Dieter Meier storyline (Random Tux, the blender-salesman/womanizer --oh, that Dieter!) ...so goofy that it's cool... Plus you've got the cinematic aspects of the music (take away Dieter's vocals and couldn't this be the backing music to a James Bond action sequence?)... And on top of that the song is quite danceable!

I tell you, I *could* vote for "Blender", but the song that follows it on the track list, "Sweet Thunder", is so great, that it really prevents me from choosing. This is a sonically awesome song. Like a lot of Yello music, there is only one way to listen to "Sweet Thunder" and that's LOUD! Again, this track is music as cinematic storytelling. We don't have Dieter narrating here, but there is a story being told nevertheless. Also, has anyone else noticed that "Sweet Thunder" is the obvious musical grandparent of "Beyond Mirrors", the track that would later serve as the finale to Yello's Pocket Universe album?

Holy cow, I've sure typed a lot! I better stop... No one will probably see this anyway! Oh well... All hail YELLO!

Your tiny metal friend,
Robo-1
julz
Site Admin

Postby julz » Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:27 pm

I've seen your post and it was enjoyable :)
How's that :) I still disagree with you about Rubberbandman though.
Ade

Postby Ade » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:54 pm

'Jungle Bill' and 'Drive/Driven' are very close contenders, but I simply have to give my vote to 'Sweet Thunder'. A wonderful closer to a nicely varied album that I wasn't immediately impressed with upon early listens. It never fails to entertain me now.
The corridor was entirely decorated with Astroturf - it was like walking through a tubular field.
Bjossi

Postby Bjossi » Sat May 23, 2009 8:23 pm

Return to “Yello Polls”