how did you discover YELLO for yourself?

Talk of anything YELLO
lexus7
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

how did you discover YELLO for yourself?

Postby lexus7 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:32 pm

Yello experience is unique, also different individuals perceive their music differently. If someone would like to share how they discovered the world of Yello, here is the place.
I, probably like many others, acquired their first CD by accident. It was 1996, I had previously seen few yello videos, particularly "How How", but never listened any of their LP's. At that time I was into the Grid's "Evolver" album, so one of the sales people at the music shop advised me to get "Hands on Yello", referring to it as a similar stuff. That was the great purchase I have ever made!
dcanmore
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Back in the 80s

Postby dcanmore » Sat Nov 03, 2007 10:23 pm

Hate to be boring.... but in the 80s I first heard of Yello through Ferris Bueller's Day Off with 'Oh Yeah', and then numerous 80s films from then on until 'The Race' was a big hit in the UK, 'Of course I'm Lying' and 'Blazing Saddles' also charted. By 1990 I was out of college and working, so I caught the train to Glasgow to spend my hard earned cash on Yello records at the then famous 23rd Precinct record shop in Bath Street. And I've managed to keep all my lovely Yello 12-inch records in pristine condition since. Now we have the digital revolution, how suited and relevant are Yello now? A class act well ahead of their time. I'm well-chuffed that I chose to discover this innovative duo.
"Vote for insanity... you know it makes sense." That was a party political broadcast by the Monster Raving Loony Party!
monkey

Postby monkey » Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:24 am

I used to work in Hi-Fi shop in Dublin in the 80's/90's. The sales reps used to use Yello - The Flag album and mainly "the race" as a demo to prospective buyers of big expensive separate hi-fi systems.
It was a great track to blast the speakers out of it, we used to love it. :D
bluepicasso

Postby bluepicasso » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:30 am

I'm new here -- and I've been a fan of Yello's for over 27 years. Found out about them while watching a video of theirs when MTV was somewhat credible to watch.

Wishing that their new album comes soon!

Blue P
JJ Naas

Postby JJ Naas » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:37 pm

wendes

newbie to chatt

Postby wendes » Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:08 pm

i asked a guy at my summer job to make "mix of good music"on a tape. On it was "Desire" and "Vicious games" amongst alot of other artists.
however, the same day (june-86) i went out and bought Stella.
I was and still is hooked. :D
Cryptowen

Postby Cryptowen » Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:02 pm

I've heard Yello tracks all over the place over the years (off hand I'm pretty sure I heard "Rubberbandman", "Tied Up", & "Oh Yeah" (but of course) used in various places). I was very curious to find out who the artists were (not knowing they were all by one group), but this was in the days before the internet had easy guides to everything, so I sort of forgot about it. A couple of years ago an episode of South Park used "Oh Yeah", & knowing the episode name I was finally able to get some info from Wiki. After watching some of their videos on Youtube, I was addicted.
nwg

Postby nwg » Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:14 am

estugarda

Postby estugarda » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:07 am

Getting there is half the fun. Being there is all of it.
nwg

Postby nwg » Sat Mar 15, 2008 9:51 am

Thron

Postby Thron » Fri May 16, 2008 10:19 am

airfiero

Postby airfiero » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:35 am

Back in the early days of MTV - we're talking the first year or so of it being on the air, early 80s, when they actually played MUSIC VIDEOS! - they were playing the video of "The Evening's Young". It was the first time I'd heard Yello, and that nightmarish video really stuck in my (and my friend's) head. So we set out to find that song on an album.

We made occasional trips to L.A. to see hockey games, and would spend time record shopping at the oddball record stores on Melrose and Hollywood Blvds. We didn't find the album at first, so we bought whatever albums we could find. It was tough in those days before the internet. You couldn't just log on and find records like Yello. You actually had to go record shopping all over the hell, and go to out of the way record stores in L.A. or Berkeley. Eventually, we found a copy of Claro Que Si, and we kept buying Yello records and CDs because we got hooked.
ean ean ean

Postby ean ean ean » Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:22 am

I think it was Peter Powell back in the v early 80's on Radio One who played I Love You which caught my attention and I have been a fan ever since.
This is a really informative website by the way!
lexus7

Postby lexus7 » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:53 pm

Would be curious to learn how administrators of this site got to know Yello.. :wink:
julz
Site Admin

Postby julz » Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:45 pm

I wish I had some kind of a romantic story but... I was working at a movie theater as a usher and heard it in the movie Secret Of My Success. I went out and purchased Stella on LP right away and wasn't sure what to make of the other songs. Shortly after I purchased One Second and was hooked ever since.

Return to “General YELLO Talk”