how did you discover YELLO for yourself?

Talk of anything YELLO
Timezone LaFontaine
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Timezone LaFontaine » Tue Jan 20, 2009 1:36 pm

Around '89, my father heard a song by some unknown artist on the radio and was trying to find out who it was. He described it to someone who suggested that it might be Yello. He bought all their cassettes to that date ("Flag" was probably the most recent then) searching for the song he had heard. As it turned out, it apparently wasn't Yello and he passed all the cassettes on to me.

I was pretty mesmerized by them... I was about 15 at the time and, although I couldn't play any instruments yet, I was determined to learn how to play music. I was particularly interested in sample-based music and was also getting into hip-hop and more dance-oriented types of industrial music. I didn't have a a computer or a drum machine yet, but I did have a dual-tape deck. So the first composition I made was a 'pause tape' that was based on the first measure of "Pumping Velvet" when the beat drops. I would play that measure, and hit record on the tape, then pause it at the end of the measure; rewind the Yello tape and play it again, hit record and then pause it; over and over and over until I had about three minutes of a very roughly-looping beat. At the time I also had a Casio SK-1 keyboard and played with that over the Yello loop and added vocals. The song I made was awful, but of course it was fascinating to me... and within the next year a friend of mine and I had a drum machine, an Amiga with a simple looping sampler program, and a Tascam Porta-1 four track. So that was almost 20 years ago... over a very long and gradual process I believe I have developed a unique style as a composer -- if you'd like to hear some of my songs, you can here: ...I think the one of the most important things that I learned from listening closely to Yello is the way their compositions change in some way with each measure; there is always some new rhythmic or melodic detail occurring.

But... back to the story of my experience with Yello. After "Flag," it became increasingly difficult for me to find anything releases by them here in the U.S. And of course, like I mentioned, I had all their prior releases on cassette but after a while no longer had a working cassette player. Years passed and my musical tastes expanded onward, but of course after a while I had to go back and get CDs of all the Yello albums. By this time it was ten years later and I was amazed by all their newer albums which I heard all at once. I feel I should sum up by naming some of my favorite albums, but each one is fascinating to me in different ways. I can't specify any of them as being my favorite. At various times I prefer their more serious, or more ludicrous, or vocal, or instrumental songs. As a result, I never know exactly which album to recommend for new listeners. I am just glad that they have continued for a long time and I hope they make a few more.
The Slaught

Postby The Slaught » Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:31 am

In my 16 i used also to do another things with tape. My 2x tapedeck had the 'Rotate' function, so i could play a pre-recorded loop live. Just record 2-3 second fragment on the side A, then - the same fragment (or modified) on B. This way you can toggle 'Rotate' button & play your loop non-stop, even do some 'breakbeat'.

Another cool thing: launch two identical tapes on both decks & you'll get the flange effect!
JJ Naas

Postby JJ Naas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:44 am

Still going back to the episode of Most Wanted that made me a fan.. now the rest of the show, a great and confusing bit in which Dieter creates a painting while Boris and Ray Cokes chat about the new album Zebra.

I remember that was part of a theme that visiting artists would paint pictures that were later auctioned on the show for charity. This Yello painting fetched one of the biggest sums of money, it was bought by some design company.
Vic Flange
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1107: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Postby Vic Flange » Thu May 28, 2009 11:51 pm

Bjossi

Postby Bjossi » Fri May 29, 2009 8:51 am

Ilya Petrov

Postby Ilya Petrov » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:31 pm

Fat Dumb and Happy

Are you ready for the sensation del tango a Rosario?

Postby Fat Dumb and Happy » Sat Sep 12, 2009 9:35 am

beyondmirrors

My first time with Yello

Postby beyondmirrors » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:02 pm

Kali

Re: how did you discover YELLO for yourself?

Postby Kali » Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:56 am

Hello,

I read some of the stories you wrote down. They are amazing! I wish I could tell such a story. But my story is boring. :(

One day, I discovered Yello by hearing The Eye on the radio. A short time ago, I looked for information about this fantastic band and went to a CD store.

By the way, i'm a newbie here.

Greetings
Last edited by Kali on Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Never say never"

My favourite album
lexus7

Postby lexus7 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 3:08 pm

Welcome to this forum Kali
Kali

Postby Kali » Mon Aug 16, 2010 2:13 am

"Never say never"

My favourite album
zaz965

Postby zaz965 » Mon Aug 16, 2010 4:06 am

My congratulations, Kali so to hold.
:D
Tiddlywinks

Postby Tiddlywinks » Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:54 am

For me the Yello experience started with Claro Que Si, a work mate was a follower of Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh and they used to meditate to Claro played really loud, I didn't meditate but was hooked from the moment I heard it.
zaz965

Postby zaz965 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:15 am

Love for Yello began in the 80's the last millennium from the album «Stella»

Кто сел на поезд " yello", вряд ли с него сойдет! :)

Kto sel na poezd " yello", vryad li s nego soĭdet! :)

http://video.yandex.ru/#search?text=%D0 ... 4320721-00

Return to “General YELLO Talk”